Justia Lawyer Rating
Top One
Avvo Rating 10.0 Top Attorney
BBB Rating: A+
Lead Counsel Rating
The National Trial Lawyers
The Avvo Clients' Choice Awards
The National Advocates
10 Best American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2016
Client Champion badge
Laurie Robertson quoted in
Daily News and Fox News about
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' divorce.

Contempt Motions in Tacoma

Get Legal Assistance From Our Tacoma Contempt Attorneys

If an ex-partner refuses to pay court-ordered alimony or child support, the place an unnecessary financial burden on their ex, and could even make it difficult for them to take care of their child. Fortunately, the law provides a solution to problems such as these.

With help from a qualified lawyer, you can take legal action against a non-custodial parent who defaults on court-ordered support. This action is commonly called a contempt of court motion in Washington State. The Tacoma contempt motion lawyers at the Washington Family Law Group can help you file this motion in an effort to motivate an ex to do what the law requires. With over 50 years of collective experience, our Pierce County contempt lawyers have the experience you need to take legal action when you need it most.

Children are often the most affected by parents who refuse to provide support, but our Tacoma contempt motion lawyers can help you protect their best interests. When a divorce is finally finalized and you’re ready to move on with your life, the last thing you need is unnecessary aggravation. If your ex refuses to pay child support or alimony, our Tacoma divorce enforcement attorneys will file a motion in family court on your behalf.

How is a Contempt Motion Filed with the Washington Court?

Contempt of court is defined as an unwillingness to obey a judge's order. In relation to family court, contempt often refers to someone that refuses to pay court-ordered child support, adhere to visitation responsibilities, or who won't keep up with alimony payments. When this happens, a lawyer can step in and file a contempt motion with the court in an effort to make them adhere to their responsibilities.

There are sometimes valid reasons why a person fails to adhere to a court-mandated order. However, when this behavior becomes chronic, it’s necessary to seek redress from the court. The punishments for contempt are swift and severe, and could include expensive fines or jail time. The ex found guilty of contempt may also be required to cover unpaid support, court costs, and lawyer fees.

The most common reason for contempt motions is failure to pay child support. A child’s security is at stake, so if a non-custodial parent is shirking their financial responsibilities you should contact one of our Pierce County lawyers without delay. Make sure you keep accurate records regarding missed support payments so that your lawyer can act swiftly when petitioning the family court.

What Happens if I'm Charged with Contempt?

The courts have little regard for persons that choose to ignore a judge's order or take care of their offspring. If a judge finds you in contempt of court, punishments are intended to force compliance. A judge could decide to do a number of things to accomplish this goal, and they include ordering professional counseling, the completion of a parenting class. A judge may also require that you seek gainful employment, and they may even schedule a future hearing to ensure you're obeying their order.

If you've been served with a contempt motion, one of our lawyers can help you quickly address it. You may have a legitimate reason for the actions that led to the contempt charge, but a judge will ultimately decide if your actions were warranted. Some common defenses to contempt motions include issues with subject matter jurisdiction and personal jurisdiction. It’s also possible you were unaware a court order even existed, didn’t understand it, or didn't have enough time to respond.

With so much to consider, you should seek help from a Pierce County lawyer so that you can quickly address and resolve any contempt motion. We will ensure your legal rights are protected and do everything we can minimize the punishments you face.

Our Tacoma Contempt Of Court Attorneys Offer A Free Consultation

The selfish and irresponsible actions of a non-custodial parent shouldn't adversely affect your ability to get by. Talk to one of our Tacoma divorce enforcement attorneys today, and find out everything you need to know about filing a motion in family court. When you contact us for your free consultation, you'll get answers from a qualified Tacoma contempt case attorney who will do everything they can to defend your interests.

Client Reviews
Laurie has worked on my very challenging and contentious divorce and I could not have asked for a better family law attorney. She was able to handle all of the twists and turns of my case with ease. I highly recommend Laurie to anyone looking for an excellent, ethical and hard working counselor. Chandler
Laurie is an incredible divorce lawyer! She did an amazing job with my divorce, and it was a real dog fight the whole way. She is a true fighter. And you can tell that she really cares about her family law clients and the results that she achieves for them. John
My lawyer guided me through a very challenging time in my life when I was going through my divorce. She worked hard and explained every step of the way what was going on so I could understand the process. I was very happy with her work. Barbel