Nobody gets married thinking that one day they have to endure a divorce, but sometimes differences cannot be reconciled leaving no other choice than to sever the marriage ties. Studies show that a divorce is one of the most difficult events a person can endure in their lifetime. If kids are involved, the emotional upheaval and stress can be overwhelming.
While a divorce might seem like the culmination of a married couple's conflict and strife, it is actually an opportunity of sorts. This is when married people seeking autonomy work towards an agreement on major issues like alimony, child custody, and child support. Sometimes an agreement is not possible, and that's when negotiations become necessary. Each person will have an attorney represent their interests while protecting their legal rights. If you're considering a divorce, you need to find a Burien divorce lawyer who will offer reliable legal counsel as you go through this difficult process.
No divorce is free from consequences. These may include emotional and financial challenges, losing primary custody of your children, or being required to pay your ex a certain amount of money every month. Your will need to make decisions regarding difficult subjects that will affect the lives of everyone in your family. Some choices may be very difficult, but your Burien divorce attorney will be at your side protecting your legal rights and offering you counsel based on decades of experience.
Right now, you likely have some questions about how the divorce works in Washington State, and how the law applies to your situation. Some questions are harder to answer than others because your situation is unique. Undoubtedly, your divorce will play out according to a variety of variables that are impossible to predict ahead of time. Our lawyers strive to develop working relationships with every client because trust is essential when dealing with important issues that will affect the rest of your life.
Throughout negotiations with your ex, staying focused on the task at hand can, at times, seem almost impossible. However, your Burien divorce lawyer will urge you to stay focused on your goals to move the process forward in an amicable way. If there comes a time when divorce negotiations fail due to your spouse’s unwillingness to be reasonable, then we will find other, more aggressive, alternatives to negotiation. No matter what, we are on your side. We always say, “We can't promise that our lawyers will tell you what you want to hear, but we can promise that they will tell you what you need to hear.”Burien, Washington is a Great Place to Live and Raise a Family
Burien is a relative newcomer to the Puget Sound area as it was only Incorporated in 1993. As part of King County, divorce cases are heard in the King County Family Court, which is a division of the Superior Court. With just over 50,000 residents, Burien is a wonderful little suburban city with something for just about anyone.
If you're looking for information concerning the Burien local government, job listings, or would like to start a business in the area, you should check out the municipal website. Burien has a small town atmosphere that's sorely lacking in some of the region's larger suburbs. The Seahurst Beach Park is a fantastic place to spend a day where numerous trails and picnic areas make outdoor recreation an absolute joy. The Museum of Flight is another popular attraction, especially if you like airplanes and aviation. Seattle Ballooning is another popular activity, and if you've ever been to Burien, the sight of hot air balloons rising into the air is one you'll not soon forget.
Living in Burien means you also have access to the blue waters of Puget Sound and the rising mountains to the southeast. In fact, the many outdoor opportunities in the area are just one of the reasons why so many families decide to call this area their home. High median incomes and a low mean resident age of 37 makes Burien an attractive choice for young couples with school-age children.Breaking Down Common Divorce and Family Law Related Issues in Washington State
Every divorce and family law case is unique. That being said, the issues our King County divorce lawyers deal with are often the same. Every case demands a through understanding of the details, but for the purpose of this web page we will break down the most common issues to provide you with some basic legal knowledge. Remember, when you're ready to get more detailed information about your case, contact our law office for a free consultation.
- Child Custody – This is one of the most difficult family law issues our attorneys handle. If you're seeking a divorce, one of your most pressing questions is whether you'll be able to maintain custody of your children. If not, how will visitations work? Will you be able to share custody even if you're not the primary custodian? Who will make decisions regarding your children's future in regards to schooling or religion? Courts will act in the best interests of children, so it's important to maintain civil discourse with your ex during negotiations so that a fair custody agreement can be reached. If negotiations fail, a judge will render a decision on your behalf. Make no mistake about it, custody issues may be contentious and filled with emotion. Each parent usually has their own beliefs regarding how their child should be raised, and when it's threatened they may lash out. You Burien child custody lawyer will help you maintain focus though this difficult task in an effort to prevent the courts from making these choices for you.
- Child Support – Issues involving child support go hand-in-hand with custody issues. Often, the custodial parent receives support from the non-custodial parent, but this is not always the case. One thing is certain: Your children's needs must be accounted for, so the court will ensure that they are getting adequate financial assistance. There are schedules that determine the amount of support required by law, so be sure to speak with our Burien child support attorneys about your situation.
- Spousal Maintenance (Alimony) – This is yet another potentially contentious issue. Depending on the nature of your marriage and finances, one person may be required to pay monthly alimony to their ex. After talking to one of our Burien spousal maintenance lawyers, you should have a pretty good idea whether you'll have to pay, or be able to receive, alimony.
- Divorce for Men – We often encounter men who are worried about whether they will be treated fairly by the court in regards to child custody issues. In the past, courts often showed favoritism toward women as caregivers, but much has changed in regards to Washington's family courts. If you're a dad and are eager to have your legal rights as a parent protected, talk to one of our Burien divorce for men lawyers today.
- Protection and Restraining Orders – If you're in an abusive marriage, these legal tools provide a way to protect yourself, and your children. First, contact someone who can help remove you from an abusive situation, and then contact one of our Burien protection order lawyers. These court orders are almost always effective, so don't hesitate to take the next step.
- Modifications of Support – Sometimes people have financial issues after a divorce, so they wonder if a change can be make to their levels of alimony or child support. This is not an easy thing to accomplish, but it may be possible. To find out, contact one of our Burien support modification attorneys for more information.
Whether you're seeking a divorce or dealing with a family law issue involving modifications of support, same sex couples issues, visitation, adoption, or paternity, one of our King County divorce lawyers is ready to help. These issues demand professional attention and diligence and should be addressed by a legal professional in Burien whom you implicitly trust.
Burien residents who have questions about divorce or family law are urged to take advantage of our offer for a free consultation. You can arrange your free case evaluation today and start getting some answers from a qualified Burien divorce lawyer.
If you decide to work with one of our Burien divorce litigators they will do everything they can to help you attain your goals while protecting your legal rights.