Justia Lawyer Rating
Top One
Avvo Rating 10.0 Top Attorney
BBB Rating: A+
Lead Counsel Rating
The National Trial Lawyers
The Avvo Clients' Choice Awards
The National Advocates
10 Best American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 2016
Client Champion badge
Laurie Robertson quoted in
Daily News and Fox News about
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' divorce.

Contempt Motions in Bellevue

Get Helpful Legal Guidance From Our Bellevue Contempt Of Court Attorneys

If an ex-partner is refusing to pay court-ordered alimony or child support, you likely understand the financial burden that this irresponsible behavior can cause. Fortunately, the law provides a solution to your dilemma.

With help from an attorney, you can take legal action against a non-custodial parent who defaults on support. This action is called a contempt of court motion. The Bellevue contempt motion lawyers at the Washington Family Law Group can help you file this motion in an effort to get what is rightfully yours. With over fifty years of collective experience, our King County contempt lawyers have the experience you need to protect your legal rights.

Children are the ones most affected by parents who refuse to provide court-ordered support, but our Bellevue contempt motion lawyers can help you protect their interests. When a divorce is finalized, the last thing you need is unnecessary aggravation. If your ex-spouse refuses to pay child support or alimony, our Bellevue divorce enforcement lawyers will file a motion in family court in order to quickly resolve this problem.

How is a Contempt Motion Filed with the Court?

Contempt of court means refusal to obey a judge's order to do something. In regard to family court, contempt often refers to an ex-partner that refuses to pay for child support, adhere to visitation responsibilities, or won't keep up with their alimony payments. When this happens, an attorney can step in and file a contempt motion with the court.

There may be valid reasons why someone fails to adhere to a court-mandated order, but when this issue becomes chronic there's little recourse other than this legal option. The punishments for contempt are swift and severe, and may even include fines or time behind bars. Court costs and lawyer fees may also become the responsibility of the person guilty of contempt.

The most common reason to file for contempt is for failure to pay child support. The well being of your child is at stake, so if a non-custodial parent is shirking their financial responsibilities, you should contact one of our King County attorneys right away. Be sure to keep accurate records of missed support payments, so that your lawyer can act swiftly when petitioning the court.

What Can I Do if I'm Charged with Contempt?

The courts have little patience for persons that choose to ignore a judge's order. This is especially true if a child's well-being is adversely affected. If you're found in contempt, punishments administered by the court are intended to alter your behavior so you obey the court order. A judge may take a number of actions in an effort to accomplish this goal. These actions include ordering professional counseling, and order to complete a parenting class or seek employment, and even schedule a future hearing to ensure you're obeying the order.

If you've been served with a contempt motion, an attorney will help you address it. You may have a legitimate reason for your actions, but it will be up to the court to decide. Some common defenses include issues with subject matter jurisdiction and personal jurisdiction. You may also have been unaware a court order existed, didn't have enough time to respond, or the order may have been unclear.

With so many variables to consider, you are best served by working with a qualified King County lawyer to address and resolve any contempt motion. We will ensure your rights are protected and do everything we can minimize the punishments you face.

Our Bellevue Contempt Of Court Attorneys Offer A Free Consultation

The irresponsible actions of a non-custodial parent shouldn't cause you or your child to go without the support you need to get by. Talk to one of our Bellevue divorce enforcement lawyers and find out everything you need to know about filing a motion in family law court. When you call us for your free consultation, you'll get answers from a qualified Bellevue contempt case lawyer who is eager to help you resolve your situation.

Client Reviews
Laurie has worked on my very challenging and contentious divorce and I could not have asked for a better family law attorney. She was able to handle all of the twists and turns of my case with ease. I highly recommend Laurie to anyone looking for an excellent, ethical and hard working counselor. Chandler
Laurie is an incredible divorce lawyer! She did an amazing job with my divorce, and it was a real dog fight the whole way. She is a true fighter. And you can tell that she really cares about her family law clients and the results that she achieves for them. John
My lawyer guided me through a very challenging time in my life when I was going through my divorce. She worked hard and explained every step of the way what was going on so I could understand the process. I was very happy with her work. Barbel